Monday, September 9, 2013

Who Am I?


My name is Jamie Schou.  I am a cancer patient.  I'm a cancer patient who loves to ski, mountain bike, hike, paddle board, and generally get outside for a good time.  I won't let cancer take that from me!

In March of 2012 I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in my back called a Synovial Sarcoma (referred to as "stage IV back cancer" in the movie 50/50).  The cancer was treated with 7 rounds of chemo, 25 doses of radiation, and over 20 hours of surgery.  In October 2012 I was deemed clear of disease.

In April of 2013 the disease reappeared, this time it was found to have spread (metastasized) to my lungs.  I have since undergone another surgery and 4 more rounds of chemo (2 separate regimens) that have not worked.  The lesions in my lungs have continued to grow and this week (September 9th, 2013) I will start my third chemo regimen (Each regimen is a different drug or drug combination. I went through two different regimens in 2012 as well).  The hope is that this chemo will control the growth and if so I will continue on this drug indefinitely - a good scenario would be that I am receiving this chemo for years to come...or until a better option comes along.

This new regimen is a 24 hour dose of a chemo called Yondelis, with 3 weeks off and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat.....  Looking at a long term life of chemo is extremely overwhelming to say the least.  My life for some time has been in a constant state of limbo but there has always been a definitive goal or end point to each treatment.  Now I am going into a long term, "hold on" scenario.  As I look at my life, my calendar filled with being sick and tired for roughly a week of every three, my only choice is to adjust to this new world.  I enjoy living through activity and movement and I plan to continue that lifestyle with every opportunity that I have.  Here you will find my stories of adventure, trials and tribulations Between The Chemos.  All of our time is finite and mine has been whittled down a little more than the rest, but I plan to make the best of what I have!

If you have an adventure you'd like to share with me please let me know!  I am up for just about anything.  It is amazing how much more often you say "YES" when your time becomes more limited.  My advice for the day - say "YES" more!  and.....

SEND IT!

I go into chemo treatment later this week - round 12!  I hope to have a great story of adventure, and my first real posting coming soon.

'Till then,

"It is tough to beat an opponent that never gives up"

1 comment:

  1. Jamie- we love u and will always love u- we are better people for having u in our lives-

    ReplyDelete